Since having my baby girl, I’ve been into playing dress up with her and finding all of these cute hair pieces that match her outfits. Hair bows are expensive. So I decided to try my hand at making my own. Now that I have made myself a nice little collection, I want to share with you how I make Amalia’s hair bows.
What you’ll need:
- Fbric. I use regular quilting fabric as it is pretty easy to work with.
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Iron and ironing board
- A pencil with an eraser
- Nylon headbands. You can get them here or make your own.
- First, cut your fabric. For one 3 inch bow, you will need to cut a strip of fabric that is 3in x 12in.
- Next, you are going to iron the fabric. Start by folding the fabric in half lengthwise with the right side facing OUT.
- Open the fabric and fold the raw edges in until they meet in the crease that you ironed. Iron again
- Now it’s time to sew. Unfold the fabric and match the raw edges up lengthwise with right sides facing IN.
- Starting at the corner, backstitch and sew a diagonal until you are 1/4 inch away from the raw edges. With your needle down, lift your presser foot and rotate your fabric so that it is straight. Continue to sew a 1/4 inch seam until almost to the center of the fabric. Backstitch and cut the thread.
- Start from the other end and repeat, leaving a 1inch hole in the middle of the bow.
- Now to turn it right side out. Cut the corners off so that it will lay nicely when you’ve got it right side out. Use your pencil with the eraser end and work the tails through the hole. Repeat for both sides.
- Next, iron the bow again. Be sure to iron on the creases that you’ve already made. the seam will be slightly tucked inside. This will give the bow a more dimensional look and hide the hole that is left. Don’t worry about the hole, it will be hidden in the knot of the bow and you will not see it.
- Now for folding the bow and getting it on the band. You can also just fold the bow and hot glue it to an alligator clip instead for girls with more hair. I’ll insert a video explaining how to fold the bow followed by a photo.
And there you have it! You can make your own bow out of any fabric color or print that you want to get the perfect match for your little one’s outfit.