So I feel like every blog has one of these posts. I’ve never done one before and you probably know a lot about me already because I’ve been writing for quite some time but I’m going to write one anyway, so here goes!
- Topping off this list, is my patience, or lack thereof. I have no patience. But you probably already knew that just by reading my blog (if you’ve been reading for a while, anyway). I have a really hard time waiting for things, especially when I am really excited about them. I get bored and almost to the point of being phlegmatic toward other things. I just can’t be happy until I have what I’m being so impatient about. Its not one of my favorite qualities.
- I’m also very shy. Who knew right? I mean, I write about my life for the world to see (okay, maybe just a handful of readers). I have always been this way. I remember when I was younger at family get-togethers, I would be terrified of my relatives that I wasn’t very familiar with. I would cling to my dad the whole time. As a tweenager, I was scared to go into the grocery store for my mom or run into the gas station to get a bottle of water. Social interaction scared me to death. And don’t even get me started on public speaking and performing arts. I would have a mini panic attack before making a presentation in front of class and dreaded school on the days when those things were due. Band solos and piano recitals were awful. My knees would quiver and my face would flush when my part came up. Its ridiculous really, I know, but I can’t help it. I’m much better now as an adult, but I still don’t like talking to people. I can get grocery shopping done pretty fast because I want to hurry and get home with limited social experiences. Mind you, I come from a very small town where everybody knows everybody, and I still don’t like venturing out into it.
- I don’t like getting lost. Whenever we travel to a new place, or a large city, I get stressed out driving. I don’t like not knowing where I’m going or how to get there. I almost panic if we can’t figure out why we can’t find the place we were headed to. I get stressed, then I get road rage and finally I start to get impatient with my family because I need quiet to concentrate. Backseat driving only makes it worse. I don’t know why it is so important to me in the moment to just get there that I freak out at the thought of getting lost. I mean, I have GPS and I will eventually find it.
- Feet. I abhor them. They disgust me and creep me out. Its not a fear, necessarily. Just a complete and utter disgust. If your foot is too close to touching me, I get the heebie jeebies and have to move. My brothers would always use this against me when they wanted to make me move from “their spot” on the couch. To this day, they still like to watch me squirm. I just can’t stand feet. I also have a thing about my own feet. I can touch my own feet but I’m anal about them. I have to be toe-jam-less, and my socks MUST be on straight or it drives me mad. Don’t even get me started on holes in socks, its practically one of my worst nightmares (okay maybe not, but they go straight to the trash if they are starting to wear thin). My feet are very sensitive. I can’t even go to bed without socks on because I don’t like how the sheets feel. But I can wear sandals. I know, it makes no sense.
- I enjoy writing poems. I get that from my Grandma Angie. I mostly write religious poems and poems to my children. It makes me feel like I have my life together when I can make a few sentences rhyme.
- I am ticklish and I hate it. I’m ticklish pretty much everywhere and even if you are just innocently touching me, it tickles in certain spots like my neck and sides. I can’t watch someone else being tickled without feeling like I’m the one getting tickled. I can sense that you are going to tickle me before you even touch me. I get jumpy and then I can’t trust you that you won’t tickle me every time you touch me. And If you do get me pinned down to tickle me, beware, I will kick you and I can’t be held accountable for what happens to you when I do.
- I’m a sentimental fool. Particularly of memories. I like physical things too, but memories are my favorite. I am fond of remembering the past and the things that happened in my life that mean so much to me. I think that stems from the fact that my Grandmother has Alzheimer’s and it hurts to see her like that, without her precious memories. I take lots of pictures to look at. I seriously dump my cell phone at least once a month because I have so many pictures. I also hold on to things that were given to me by special people. Even if I don’t use them, I still want to keep them around because it reminds me of them. I’m not a hoarder though haha (okay, maybe just a hoarder of photos)!
- I have been told that I’m an old soul. I didn’t really know what that meant until recently, but now that I do, I would say that its pretty accurate. Here’s an article that I think pretty accurately sums it up.
- I like different things. I know that’s a pretty vague statement, but I’ll explain. My sense of humor is not typical of someone my age. Its more like bad dad jokes than anything. I find things to be funny that most people just don’t. I never liked the typical sports like volleyball and basketball. I would rather play badminton or croquet. I like music that people haven’t heard of. Most people have probably actually heard some of the songs that I like but they don’t realize it. You know when the beginning credits at a movie have a song playing in the background that nobody really listens to? Yeah? Well that’s my jam.
- I am a thinker. I think all day long. About anything and everything. Sometimes its important and sometimes its not. Sometimes its because I’m worrying and other times its because I wonder about something random. I over-think scenarios in my life that I wish had gone differently and how I could’ve changed it even though its already over and there is nothing I can do about it now. Like when I spill something on myself at lunch, I think the scenario over and wish that if I had only done this, then I could’ve avoided getting my clean shirt all dirty. I think about how things work and why (I think that comes from my dad). I read articles and I like to learn about things that normal people don’t even think about. I like knowing how caterpillars turn into butterflies and how my body uses the water I drink on a molecular level. I have a plethora of knowledge from reading that I will never use, but I like that I know it. Maybe that’s strange. I like to think about how awesome this place we live in is and how magnificently clever our creator must be to have come up with this all by himself.