First Non Stress Test

Last Thursday I had my first NST. I went to radiology at 2 and got the biophysical profile done and then headed to the OB ward. My nurse hooked me up to the monitors and then started asking questions for my chart (height, weight, how many pregnancies, medical history blah blah blah). After we got all of that done, she asked me how painful my contractions are on a scale from one to ten. I told her 0-1 because they are basically painless and I sometimes don’t even feel them coming. She told me that I was contracting every 4-6 minutes consistently so she was going to do a fetal fibronectin(FFN) on me to assess my risk of pre-term labor as well as check me for dilation. I was not dilated at all, no effacement and baby is still high up and not at all engaged. The FFN was negative which means that I will probably not go into labor in the next two weeks. I did this exact same contracting pattern when I was pregnant with Sylas but I was never monitored for it because I didn’t have gestational diabetes. I’m sure that its all fine but I am worried that my doctor will suggest bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy if this continues (and it probably will). I really can’t do bed rest right now because I only have 12 weeks postpartum for my maternity leave and I don’t want to waste any of it at home in bed waiting for baby to come. I don’t feel like I have gestational diabetes to begin with so this whole situation is very frustrating. I really like my doctor and I trust him, but he is very “by the book” and sometimes people just aren’t part of the “normal.” I have always had a tendency to be the odd man out when it comes to what is “normal” medically. I am hoping that today’s NST goes more smoothly and maybe he will see that it is just how my body prepares for labor. I didn’t get discharged from the hospital until 5:45. I was there nearly three hours. Part of why it took so long was because there were 2 women in labor when I arrived and another C-section booked at the same time. I heard both babies first cries while I was being monitored which was really cool. But I got put on the back burner of course because my situation wasn’t urgent like the other three women. I waited around for about 45 minutes just to sign my release paperwork because it got chaotic all of a sudden for the OB ward. Needless to say, I was so ready to be home. I had already put in an 8 hour work day only to turn around and spend another three hours upstairs (I work at the hospital also). Hopefully today won’t take as long and I can get out of here in an hour or so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: